Saturday, May 15, 2010

Where were we?

At some point I started showing my dyeing process. I believe I stopped with the optional ingredients. Got sidetracked with multiple visits to Trader Joe's wine department...
So here is a little more.....








These are the dyes I use. It's easy, does not require extra equipment like pots and stuff. It does not require acid to set, it is colorfast and easy.

So after you prepared the yarn by soaking it, you take it out of the bath and squeeze out all the excess water. The yarn should be damp, but NOT dripping wet. Lay it out on a separate piece of the plastic. I use painters plastic drop cloth. Very affordable. Goes a long way.
Make sure there are no twists in the skein.


I use cake decorator plastic squeeze bottles to mix the dyes. You can get them at any Michael's store or even at WalMart.

The more powder you mix with warm water, the more deep and vibrant the colors get.


Here's a picture with a bunch of them. Pre-mixed and ready to go.




To keep the suspense going.....More on this topic in a couple of days.

1 comment:

  1. And the more is...not here yet? Don't reveal your deepest secrets - just show some us more fun stuff! I love to watch other people work.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete